Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Artist Isaac Bidwell of Palermo, NY -- Drawings, Paintings, Printmaking, Hot Ladies, Frankenstein, and Bob Ross


Here's another artist I encountered while working at the CNY Artists Gallery in Shoppingtown Mall, Dewitt, and who's work made me want more from my own efforts. Isaac Bidwell, a Palemo NY based artist with a background in both graphic design and -- interestingly -- business administration. Isaac is a graduate of SUNY Oswego who's natural born talents have pushed him to the front of the hungry mob of younger CNY artists looking to change the world. He's also a pretty cool dude & one of the hardest working artists out there. Caught him studying my own paintings at my CNY Artists Gallery show in June and recognized someone who takes his role as an artist seriously.

I had the good fortune to be in the VersuS event in May with Isaac & last month covered a magnificent show he had at Syracuse's Szozda Gallery with painter Cayetano Valenzuela. Isaac's reach has extended far beyond the CNY region with success in Chicago, Los Angeles, and parts of Solvay. I am continually spellbound by his combination of seemingly eroticized imagery with morbid elements of death, decay, quiet studied menace, and the presence of a femme fatale.

Seeing Isaac's work has influenced me to return to the human form for inspiration, specifically the female form, to push for a more polished sheen of execution, and allow a bit of risque humor into the imagery. I plan to start working from a live model in September out of a wish to arrive at more physical forms with a specific identity -- One of the most charming aspects of his work is recognizing his favorite model in some, a skill which at best I can only hope to simulate someday. Either you got it or you don't.

Here's a look at some of Isaac's work cribbed from his FB postings, some in early unfinished states but the real action is over at his website, be sure to give it a look. This guy is happening all over the place, hoping to do a studio visit with a six pack to talk drawing soon.











I've sold two of this one during my shifts at the Shoppingtown gallery. Isaac's work sells!












Once more, Isaac's website can be found at


Isaac also maintains a blog here


and can be followed on Twitter here


No comments:

Post a Comment