Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Fish Out of Water (And Other Curiosities): Timothy Rand @ Hamilton Center for the Arts, December 2014


Hamilton Center for the Arts
19 Lebanon St. 
Hamilton NY 13346



Had to stop and get a shot of Cazenovia Lake on the way out and these geese were right on time as I stepped out of the Jeep ...


And the mist just swallowed them whole ... wow.



While the chair for Santa was unoccupied this trip out was to see recent works by my Utica scene colleague Tim Rand. Versed in a plethora of approaches, Tim is an artist whose work defies traditional categorization. He uses lots of paint (oils) but likes to paint on the bottom of tables, scraps of wood, old drawers, or anything else handy which paint will likely stick to. And has a thing for mixed media assemblages, skulls, sea forms. Lives in a Clinton NY house which serves as a massive studio complex & showroom. Every once in a while he'll bring some of his artworks out for a show and they're never to be missed. Check it out.



Timothy Rand



Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand



Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand, detail.


Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand




Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand, and I like this without understanding what it may be.


Timothy Rand, and my favorite piece from the show.


Timothy Rand


Timothy Rand, detail, and I don't even want to know what that is ...


The artist, with admirers, though sadly I was thoroughly spooked by gloomy weather reports & an hour on the road ahead of me going back to Utica. Had to split and hope it was a scene.


With one of the Colgate students working at the center! and sporting that "I just drove 20 miles through a Madison County blizzard" look of hollow abandonment to one's fate. Mine is to drive, see, blog, paint, show, and drive some more.


With HCA director Kathy Herold! We've done some good things together, more's afoot I am sure.


And with the artist! I'll go out on a limb and credit Tim as the most technically gifted painter I've known since starting this current leg of things, we have not even seen this man's true potential yet. Learned my face painting technique from studying Tim's work while we both were co-oppers at Broad Street Gallery around the corner, swiped it ruthlessly in fact and will never forget how ... Tim assured me he doesn't mind at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment