Friday, August 1, 2014

Artists Telling Stories @ The Tech Garden, Syracuse NY July - September 2014


The Tech Garden
235 Harrison St.
Syracuse NY 13202


So the Monday after my brother's wedding it was just raining hammers & nails on Syracuse. Nothing to do, so I took mom down to The Tech Garden to see the current exhibit featuring some of my work and curated by my homegirl Kristina Starowitz. Which for me almost didn't happen: Up to my armpits in the midst of evacuating the home I'd occupied for 10 years, due in Ontario Canada for the wedding the day of the reception and in no capacity to paint under such circumstances I figured it would be proper to sit this one out.

No such luck -- Kristina tracked me down the week after the submission deadline demanding an explanation for my absence that would suffice. She shot all of the above concerns out of the water, told me to get real and issued instructions to bring two chosen paintings on dropoff date. All I knew was that the show was about artists who tell stories via their work and that I'd miss the reception, something I was also told I'd have to get used to as the shows I submit to begin taking place further and further afield. Which suits me just fine, would rather stay at home to paint anyway & regard attending receptions as work no more respectable than slicing deli meat at a supermarket counter. At least they get days off.

And to sort of do some story telling, here's a quick look at the big day up in gorgeous Cambridge, Ontario. Will be sure to invite everyone to whatever county courthouse I am compelled to give up my freedom in as I am now officially the last of the Nyland bachelors. It's all unmarried nieces, female cousins and sisters in law now, everyone else is hitched.


Aunt Michelle's Frog Pond! which captivated my attention while at their glorious estate. Planning to show more -- I like frog ponds, and they became a theme for the week.


Rehearsal day with my brother on the left with the two Flower Gals, and his new better half at right. And while I hate weddings this was actually pretty cool. 


Enjoying the mini-bachelor party at Beertown in Cambridge, Ontario after the rehearsal, with one of our servers here. I'll be back.


Visiting the Royal Botanical Gardens in nearby Hamilton, Ontario. No frogs in this one  ;[


And my brother's moment of truth which was actually quite touching as they were married by a ship's captain from Colorado, or that's the story I'm telling. Have vowed the only way I'll ever get married is on a simulated deck of the Enterprise with Captain Picard doing his one happy duty and this may be as close as it ever gets. Back to Syracuse ...


So while that was going on I missed a pretty swinging opening reception here at the Tech Garden and had to go see how Kristina had worked in the narrative elements. I did miss a few cards with artists stories on them so my apologies if certain artworks are shown with no following statements. There's also more to the show, this was just all I had time to get on camera while the parking meter was toying with us outside.



Kathryn Petrillo


Kathryn Petrillo


Kathryn Petrillo



Phil Parsons, one of my local painter heroes and someone I've wanted to be in a show with since first encountering his red barns. Done.


Phil Parsons


Phil Parsons


Jackie Adamo



Domenico Gigante



Karmin Schafer Hansen



Karmin Schafer Hansen
(with flash)


Karmin Schafer Hansen
(without)


Michael Moody


Michael Moody


Michael Moody


Maria Rizzo



Nate West, and it's good to have him back on the scene.



Barbara Conte-Gaugel, and seriously: I did not know she had this kind of work in her, being familiar with Barbara as a photographer previously. These were the best works in the show hands down and totally distracted me from everything else going on in the universe.


Barbara Conte-Gaugel



Barbara Conte-Gaugel


Barbara Conte-Gaugel


Barbara Conte-Gaugel


Barbara Conte-Gaugel


Diana Godfrey


Diana Godfrey


Suzanne Masters



Kristina Starowitz, who also curated the exhibit.



Jeff Madison


Jeff Madison



Jeff Madison


Mom, giving it up for that gorgeous little interior.


Joan Applebaum



Patrice Downes Centore



Mary Fragapane



Mary Fragapane


Hey! 
Left to right: Steve Nyland, Maria Rizzo, and Michael Moody.


Up top: Waterfall Moon

Bottom: Zombie Horde Shambling out of the Space Pyramid on Cosmonaut's Hot Date to the Planet of Love




The exhibit runs until September 18, go take a look.


Ribbitt.



No comments:

Post a Comment