Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Here He Comes Again - Art By Nyland's Syracuse Art Freak Rolls Back Into the Picture

"Along The Forest Road", Newcomb NY August 1984

So how was the pandemic? I thought I was going to refurb the blog back there in 2021, still hanging onto the vestiges of what came before. Then some crazy person decided they didn't want to stop being president or something like that? horrible nightmares about people hurting other people for ridiculous reasons. Blanked out on purpose, resurfacing only now in May of 2023 a changed man awed by magic and loss.

Visiting Grand Teton National Park, July 1976

Still working the found object diorama angle with the vintage toy pieces and lots of terraforming with acrylics. This series utilizing 1:87 scale Volkswagen bus vehicles as a metaphor for our family unit, traveling across this great country seeing things many only read about. Such a lucky childhood had we, and young adulthood. And most of adulthood, with things picking up nicely around 2009 when I found my artistic voice again. Several years of hard work later found me directing my own gallery at a pinnacle venue for the Central New York Arts Continuum, for five years. Last show was incredible, will find some pictures to finally share up. We had so many incredible shows, so proud of all we managed to do there with so many talented and hard working people.

Visiting the Yellowstone Hot Springs, July 1978

All of which ended in March of 2020 when COVID came to town. Our venue closed indefinitely. I relocated back home to help my elderly parents weather whatever the End of the World was going to be like. I needed to know every day with my own eyes how they were. Phone calls would not suffice. Departed the studio life in Utica NY to shack up in my dad's basement with the spiders, my life in storage.

Which actually wasn't all that bad as long as you had no inclination to go anywhere. Full quarantine for almost three years with grocery deliveries, claustrophobia, endless Syracuse weather, crazy people on the news doing crazier things every day. We got rid of the spiders. Plenty of time to paint or just sit with mom, help my dad as much as he allowed me to. Which pretty much accounts for March 2020 thru November 2022. I hardly remember a thing.

Visiting Two Lights State Park with the Carter's, July 1979

 Last winter was impossible, filled with terror and heartbreak which I will speak of in further updates: I need this blog now. The world really did end, and we must craft & rebuild anew. Healing will take a generation and I am a changed man in many ways. But I don't want my old life back, I want a better one, and this is how we start.

Still in my dad's basement though now that's where I choose to be, and my what a difference that can make. I won't leave him to it, and he respects my dedication to my arts quest even if not maybe understanding it. I paint every day and its the strongest work I've yet produced, craft level now very smooth. At night I work on my webs or edit video, maybe play some Quake II. Would like to teach a class about ALIEN, write about art for real, show my paintings to new audiences, and maybe have a gallery to manage once again. 

Will be back with more as it happens, and it will. We're good.


Most recent upload YouTube as of this time, discussing current art strategies.
Please do bookmark & subscribe to my channel! all sorts of cool stuff to see, will keep it coming.

New alternate email address is space.trucks1138@ gmail.com
and I'll esplain what that means too.


*(Haha Gotcha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment