Thursday, May 18, 2023

Giant Hogweed Battle Video Remix with Combat Sound Effects & Tighter Mayhem

My paintings and videos both evolve over time. I'll go back and rework things as they hang there on the wall, if a better solution to hone down the intent presents itself. So here's a new "remix" of the Hogweed Battle painting video montage with what I think are improvements. Runs 90 seconds, with sound.

Click here to open video in a new window for fullscreen view option.

Nice upgrade! Let me know if my sound elements prove distracting. Not trying to make a music video but animate the painting. Also the title is meant as a parody of 18th/19th century epic battlefield paintings with flowery descriptive elongated titles. In my case adapting some of Peter Gabriel's verbiage from the song itself.

Blog post on the project here syracuseartfreak.blogspot.com/2023/05/the-final-onslaught-of-mighty-hogweed.html which is unfinished business from 2018. Ready to get at it.

The Final Onslaught of the Mighty Hogweed, Threatening the Human Race
2018 Acrylics and pastel on canvas, 30 x 66 inches. Unfinished.

The full size work above, and it was when mixing this new edit's transitions that it occurred to me the figure at more or less dead center being torn asunder by enraged Hogweed shock troopers has blue hair. I have not had blue hair since 2016 but am fairly certain that was meant as the self portrait element, taken from (among others) Michelangelo portraying himself as St. Bartholomew's flayed skin in his Last Judgement.

Screengrab from Wikipedia. 
Still recall learning about this in art history and being like, "Dude ..."

My recollection had been that my person was meant to be one of the soldiers to the left spraying weed killer on the Hogweeds, but the guy being torn apart also has its internal pouring out which makes me think of my diverticulitis art.


Pretty sure. I have not worked on or seen much of the work since June/July 2018 and that was half a life ago these days. So yeah, Saturn devours his children or whatever. Or was it Jupiter?


Another upload with commentary on the painting series, and has the older version of the battle video. Feel welcome to email ideas etc or comment using the message system, you don't have to sign in to chime in.

New edit one more time. Much happier with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment