Thursday, November 20, 2014

4 Elements Open Studios: Vartan Poghosian & Victor Lenuzza, Ceramics and Paintings November 15 2014




My dates for the evening! Artists Catherine Wright and Julie Angerosa <3 on what was one of Julie's last nights in Utica before beginning her move to St. Petersburg Florida to start a new stage of her career. We miss you already girl!


With Victor! a seriously badass painter originally from Boston, now relocated to Utica where he maintains a studio in the Mayro Building downstairs from my homegirl Jenna North. I first encountered Victor's paintings at the Hamilton NY Broad Street Gallery where we both did our co-op work during 2012/2013. Liking that perm too, a leftover from his Bob Ross costume for Halloween, and I like how Victor's paintings tread that fine line between figurative and "abstract", a term I cringe at using & do so reluctantly.


With Vartan! as potent a creative force as I've encountered in this 2nd phase of my career as an artist. I say that because his work combines not just a gloriously high level of craft in its making but downright insane perspective on form & subject matter. Which at times reminds me of the bio-sexual horror of H.R. Giger's work, though less obvious in the execution and more concerned with color and line than evoking erotic-repulsive responses. The things are ghastly but beautiful in a manner which is deceptively traditional in appearance. You just have to look close.

Stoked to finally be in an art event with both Victor and Vartan coming up next week: The Uptown Downtown Arts Fair in Utica, which for me will be my first open studio at the Upstate Flux arts incubator on Columbia St. And the idea is to SELL ART. Period.




Painting: Victor Lenuzza
Ceramic: Vartan Poghosian


Vartan Poghosian


Paintings: Victor Lenuzza
Ceramic: Vartan Poghosian


Vartan Poghosian


Julie Angerosa and Vartan talking shop: Julie was a ceramics instructor at Pratt / Munson Williams for many years!


Vartan Poghosian


Victor Lenuzza, and my favorite painting from his work on display at the right.


Paintings: Victor Lenuzza
Ceramics: Vartan Poghosian


The texture on the back side of the hands above, and if you ask me he was showing the piece backwards. That's freaking cool.


Victor Lenuzza, and bingo! Red spot. Told ya, that one rocks it.



Vartan Poghosian



Here was something I was especially looking forward to: A visit to Vartan's basement studio with his throw wheel, kiln, glaze hood, work table ... I had the good fortune to take ceramics for two years as a Syracuse University undergrad and very seriously considered declaring it as my major in junior year. I couldn't do wheel throwing, never had the patience to craft the forms and knew that was like a painter not being able to capture the human form. Always had a special fondness for ceramics ever since and would love to make some tile pieces again. 


WANT.




Vartan Poghosian


Vartan Poghosian



Vartan Poghosian


Vartan Poghosian


Ogling the track lights. The gallery space is actually the ground floor of Vartan's home converted into a very serviceable exhibition zone.


Vartan Poghosian


Victor Lenuzza, and that is one kickass painting.


Victor Lenuzza


Yeah. This is fun.


Out for a bite after with my gals  ;]=


The Balkan in Utica, ArtCat's favorite place to prowl and the music was actually quite passable.






;]


You bring me ze art, I vill bring you ze pretty girls. Yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment